Shopping at Office Depot
Below is some helpful information for shoppers to know about shopping at Office Depot.
Office Max is under the banner of Office Depot, so the information below applies to that retailer as well.
Do shoppers need to ask for tax exemption?
Yes, orders from Office Depot are tax-exempt. Shoppers will provide the tax-exempt number that appears in the app to the store associate.
How should shoppers handle substitutions from Office Depot?
Like other Shop & Deliver orders, the member's substitution preference will determine whether a substitution should be made if an item is unavailable in the store and if communication in regards to a substitution has been requested.
Keep in mind, selecting quality substitutions for general merchandise items can be complex. Below are some suggestions to consider when needing to substitute an item at Office Depot.
- Consider things like color, material, size, and weight when selecting a substitution. For example, if the member requested glossy photo paper, a suitable substitution option would be another brand of glossy photo paper instead of suggesting matte photo paper.
- Ask a store associate! In specialty stores, store associates can provide helpful information about the items in their store. Let them know the item that the member requested is out of stock and see if they have a suitable substitution item that they’d recommend.
- Share helpful item details with members when suggesting substitution, which may help them be able to quickly make an informed decision.
- Sending pictures of potential substitutions is also a great way to show the member what might be available. Try to avoid pictures of price tags since in-store prices may differ from prices in the Shipt app.
Click here to review more about substitution preferences.
What should shoppers do if an item is in a locked case?
If a shopper locates a requested item within a locked case in the store, they may ask a store associate for assistance in retrieving the item.
A best practice is for shoppers to review the details that are visible on the item’s packaging prior to asking for assistance in retrieving the item from the locked case. However, if a shopper realizes an item is not what the member requested after retrieving it, they may hand the item back to the store associate to place back in the case.
What should shoppers do if a member requests a warranty for electronic items?
If a member would like to add a warranty for an electronic item, shoppers may add it to the order as a special request item. Shoppers should consider confirming with the member if they would like to add a warranty for the item, and if they would, shoppers will need to provide their phone number during checkout.
Note: Remember to use the member’s actual phone number and not the masked number in the app.
When shopping for electronic items that are eligible for a warranty, shoppers can consider sending the following text:
The item you requested, (insert item name), is eligible for a warranty. Would you like me to add that to your order? If so, can you please provide me with your phone number for Office Depot to put on file with the warranty?
What items are prohibited?
Shoppers cannot deliver gift cards or large furniture items from Office Depot. Click here to view the full list of prohibited items for all Shipt orders.
If any of these items are on an order, shoppers can kindly let the member know that those items are not eligible for delivery with Shipt. If the member requests more information, shoppers may politely recommend that they reach out to Shipt Support for further details.
Should shoppers use a rewards card at checkout?
No, shoppers should not use a rewards card at checkout.
Can items be returned?
Yes, all items can be returned to the store where they were originally purchased.
Note: Office Depot has the right to accept or refuse returns for any items.
To complete a return for an Office Depot order:
- Present the original receipt and your Shipt card at Customer Support.
- Write the order number on the receipt and take a picture of it after the store attendant has completed the return.
- Email the picture to shoppers@shipt.
What should shoppers do if a member has an issue with their order from Office Depot?
Politely apologize to the member and suggest that they contact Shipt Support via live chat, email@example.com, or (205) 502-2500 to get assistance with the issue — the support team will be happy to help!
What should shoppers do if an order has an item that is over 40lbs?
Office Depot does offer a few items that are over 40lbs. For orders with heavy items consider reviewing these tips for delivering bulk items.
If you have claimed an order with heavy items and are unable to shop and deliver these orders, consider releasing the order in a timely manner directly from the app.