Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates and Safety Guidance
Please review the information below for ongoing updates.
Best Practices for Shopping and Delivering
As a Shipt Shopper, you come into contact with many individuals in a variety of spaces throughout the day. Shipt continues to monitor coronavirus (COVID-19) developments and recommendations from public health authorities in order to provide shoppers the most up-to-date guidance on how to protect themselves and others. Click here to access Shipt's optional Health and Safety course!
We encourage all shoppers to consider the following recommendations from the CDC:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Put distance between yourself and other people. Remember that some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others.
- If you do not have on a cloth face covering, cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- To see more information from the CDC on how to protect yourself and others, click here.
Tips on how to protect yourself while shopping and delivering:
- Wipe off the shopping cart handle prior to use to avoid germs and bacteria.
- Wear a cloth face covering while shopping and delivering orders.
- If possible, keep hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol or disinfectant wipes on-hand to use after completing each order. Otherwise, washing your hands between orders is encouraged.
- If a door drop-off is not already requested, you may ask the member if they would be okay with you dropping off their order at the door.
- To review best practices on shopping and delivering orders during coronavirus (COVID-19) from experienced shoppers, click here.
How is Shipt supporting shoppers' health and safety?
Shipt will provide financial assistance (“COVID-19 Financial Assistance”) to any shopper in good standing who is temporarily unable to work due to: (1) a diagnosis of, or positive diagnostic test result for, COVID-19; (2) a mandatory individual quarantine order from a public health authority (e.g., state or local health department); or (3) a member of the shopper’s household being diagnosed with, or testing positive for, COVID-19. For questions, please email Shipt at email@example.com. To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to learn more.
As always, shoppers retain the discretion to decide if and when they want to perform any work and should do so only when they feel safe and comfortable. In addition to following the CDC guidelines, we at Shipt want you to stay safe, take care of yourself, your families, and each other.
Free Flu Shots
To help protect your health, Shipt is offering all active shoppers free flu shots from CVS from now until 12/31.* Click to link below to get your voucher. Then, present your completed voucher to a CVS pharmacist at any store location when you go in for your shot. For your best chance at avoiding the flu, the CDC recommends getting a flu shot no later than the end of October.
*Note: This voucher is only intended for personal use and not valid for family or other dependents. If you’re insured, a free shot may already be available to you.
Face Coverings and Reusable Bags
In accordance with recommendations from the CDC to help slow the spread of the virus, many states are requiring cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are challenging to maintain, such as grocery stores and pharmacies, and in areas of significant community-based transmission. Face coverings do not need to be medical-grade masks* and can be fashioned from scarves, bandanas, or other fabrics that cover the mouth and nose. PPE supplies are also being offered to Shipt Shoppers at the Guest Services counter in Target.
Some states and retailers are also mandating the disuse of reusable bags while shopping, where all items will need to be bagged in single-use paper or plastic bags. To accommodate this provision, shoppers should leave reusable bags, including insulated cooler bags, in their cars. Shoppers may then place temperature-sensitive items in insulated cooler bags while loading their vehicles for delivery.
Shipt recommends shoppers stay up to date on local and state news and adhere to those requirements whenever possible.
*Note: Critical supplies such as surgical masks or N-95 respirators should continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance. To view CDC tutorials for making your own simple face covering, click here.
Areas with Shelter-in-Place Restrictions
As a business that enables the delivery of groceries and over-the-counter medications, Shipt is considered an essential service provider. Shipt is monitoring shelter in place orders nationwide and will provide updates should Shipt's standing as an essential service provider change.
Though many metros may have shelter-in-place orders right now, as independent contractors with Shipt, shoppers may continue to claim and shop orders if they feel safe and healthy enough to do so.
For areas that have shelter-in-place orders, click here to view Shipt's Essential Services Provider letter. We recommend saving this on your phone to have on-hand if needed.
Due to recent updates related to coronavirus (COVID-19), Shipt is temporarily updating the signature process for alcohol delivery so that person-to-person interactions are limited. Shoppers are now permitted to sign for the member once the member's ID has been validated unless the customer’s signature is required by your state or the retailer*. Click here to learn more about alcohol delivery.
*Shoppers are no longer able to sign for members in California. Click here to review the delivery process.
The Return of Ratings and On-time Percentages
After temporary stat forgiveness, we observed improvements in check-out times, out-of-stocks, and other crucial shopping conditions. Therefore, we have reinstated shopper metrics nationwide. We know it’s key to your success as a shopper to receive these stats and want to provide them as soon as it makes sense to do so. Additionally, any stats for orders delivered during the Rating and Late Forgiveness period will not be affected, and forgiveness still applies for any order delivered during that time.
We will continue to monitor operations closely to ensure this is the best choice for both members and shoppers.
Door Drop-off and Early Delivery Orders
Early Delivery Orders:
- To assist with increased coronavirus (COVID-19) order volume, give you more flexibility, and help you build your schedule for ultimate success, we launched a new feature that enables members to state if an early delivery for their order is okay. Shoppers should contact members prior to starting early delivery orders to confirm a new estimated time of delivery.
- To learn more about early delivery orders, click here.
Door Drop-off Orders:
- To encourage social distancing and protect you as you continue to support the needs of members in your community, we implemented a new feature that defaults certain members' orders to be drop-off orders — these orders are to be dropped off at the member's door instead of handed off face-to-face.
- To learn more about door drop-off orders, click here.
*Note: Shoppers still need to handoff all Alcohol Delivery orders to members in order to scan their ID. However, shoppers are now permitted to sign for the member once the member's ID has been validated.
Below are some text messages to consider using when reaching out about quantity restrictions or substitutions.
If an order contains high demand items:
- I noticed you have some high demand items on your order. If for any reason your requested items are unavailable or I am unable to purchase the requested quantity, would you like me to ask Shipt to cancel your order?
When a store has item quantity limitations:
- Per story policy, the requested item ______ is being limited to a ____ item max per order. Would you like for me to still get this item at that quantity? Are there any other items you would like to add to your order with this change?
In addition to the On The Way text for orders without a "Drop-Off" label:
- When I deliver, would it be alright if I leave your order outside your door? Out of an abundance of caution, Shipt has encouraged us to ask if we can drop off orders on doorsteps to avoid physical contact.
Other Helpful Coronavirus (COVID-19) Articles: