Shopping at Target
*Target 2021 Holiday Season Update*
When lines may be longer at cashier-based lanes during the holiday season, Target recommends that shoppers utilize self-checkout for all orders.
Some store locations may also have additional checkout stations available for Target Prepaid orders, where shoppers can have their digital barcode scanned and order audited by a Target Team Member. However, if an order is not Prepaid, shoppers should proceed to self-checkout.
Below is some helpful information for shoppers to know about shopping at Target.
Do shoppers need to ask for tax exemption?
Yes. Once shoppers get to check out and tap Check Out in the app, they should let the cashier know the order is tax-exempt and present the barcode to be scanned.
If the barcode doesn't scan, click Barcode not working? and present your Shipt Shopper ID for tax exemption.
*Note: Orders containing alcohol in California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, and Oregon will not be tax-exempt. The app will bypass this step and you will check out like normal.
Can shoppers use self-checkout?
Yes, shoppers are able to use self-checkout at Target.
- Shoppers will need to scan the tax exemption barcode while checking out—use the handheld scanner provided at self-checkout.
- Shoppers will be responsible for bagging all items.
If you would like assistance while using self-checkout for the first time as a shopper, notify the self-checkout attendant before starting and they will be able to assist you with the tax exemption process at your kiosk.
*Note: Alcohol cannot be purchased at self-checkout. For metros that offer Target alcohol delivery, please check out in a lane with a store associate.
Can shoppers sort Target orders by aisle location?
Yes, shoppers can sort their Shopping List by aisle location at Target. For more information, click here.
What items are prohibited?
Alcohol*, tobacco, prescription/behind the counter medication, live animals (including fish and insects), lottery tickets, fireworks, guns, ammunition, and gift cards** are prohibited from being purchased and delivered from Target.
*Note: Alcohol delivery certified shoppers in certain metros can deliver alcohol from select locations.
**Shoppers are allowed to purchase the $49 Shipt gift card in Target stores, which will be listed as a special request.
Additionally, shoppers can't deliver furniture, with the exception of lighting, wall decor, and rugs.
If any of these items are on an order, shoppers can kindly let the member know that those items are not eligible for delivery with Shipt. If the member requests more information, shoppers may politely recommend that they reach out to Shipt Support for further details.
What should shoppers do if a member special requests alcohol or wants to add alcohol to their grocery order?
Shoppers will not be able to honor a request for alcohol on a “dry” order (an order that does not already include alcohol). If a member wants to add alcohol after they have placed a dry order, shoppers may politely let them know they will have to place a new order for that item to be delivered.
*Note: Alcohol is only available for delivery in select metros. Click here to see where Shipt Alcohol Delivery is available.
Can members order general merchandise items like clothing or TVs?
Most general merchandise items are not in the Shipt catalog, but members can request those items via special requests and shoppers can deliver those items if they are comfortable doing so.
Click here to learn more about shopping for general merchandise!
Should shoppers use a Target Circle account at checkout?
No, Target circle accounts cannot be used when checking out with a Shipt order.
Will shoppers need to bag items at checkout?
Shoppers will only need to bag items if a store attendant is unable to assist.
Due to a shortage of plastic and paper bags along with efforts to reduce their carbon footprint, Target stores discourage double-bagging items. When bagging items yourself, be sure to limit the weight of each bag to prevent the possibility of the bags breaking or tearing in transit.
Shopping at bagless stores
Due to city ordinances, some Target locations have gone bagless, meaning no paper or plastic bags will be provided at checkout for patrons or shoppers. When completing orders at these stores, shoppers should bring reusable bags or utilize a cooler bag.
Below are a few best practices to consider when handling orders at these stores.
- In your introduction text, let the member know you're shopping at a store that does not offer paper or plastic bags at checkout and confirm that they're okay with a bagless delivery.
- If a member is not okay with a bagless delivery, let them know you're happy to purchase reusable bags to complete delivery. Be sure to communicate that the bags will be added to their order as a special request and left with their items at delivery.
What do I do if the receipt won't scan into the app?
After checking out, you'll be prompted to scan the barcode on the physical receipt. If the app’s scanner has trouble capturing the receipt barcode, you can manually input the receipt number starting with REC#.
Can items be returned?
Yes, all items can be returned to the store where they were originally purchased.
How do I process a return at Target?
If you are instructed by Shipt HQ to return items to Target, follow these steps:
- Return items to the store at the Customer Service desk.
- Use your Shipt card for the refund amount.
- Write the order number on the refund receipt and send a picture of it to email@example.com.
Follow the steps above to return alcohol items if the member is unresponsive, intoxicated, or unable to produce a valid ID.
*Note: Keep your receipt until you have delivered the order—if you do not have the receipt, the store will accept the returned item but will be unable to issue a refund.
Minnesota Alcohol Returns:
Alcohol returns cannot be refunded in Minnesota, even if you have a receipt. However, if you are unable to deliver alcohol items to a member, please return the items back to the store’s customer service area.
Will shoppers need to purchase bags at checkout?
Some Target stores in Oregon, Washington D.C., New York, and California charge for bags at checkout, and your Shipt card will be funded to cover that cost.
- In Washington D.C. and New York, the cost of the bags will be included in the total amount due at checkout, and your Shipt card will be funded to cover the cost of all bags purchased—All you need to do is swipe your Shipt card, and you're on your way!
- In Hawaii metros, Target does not provide bags at checkout—please be sure to bring bags with you when you shop!
- In California and Oregon metros, process the order and take a photo of the receipt in the app. Then the app will prompt you to enter the bag fee from the receipt. Shoppers can ask the cashier the bag fee total if it can't be located on the receipt. If no bags were purchased for the order, shoppers should put the fee total as $0 and finish processing the order.
Target.com Prepaid Orders
Click here to learn about Target.com Prepaid Orders.
What should shoppers do if a member has an issue with their order from Target order?
Politely apologize to the member and suggest that they contact Shipt Support via live chat, firstname.lastname@example.org, or (205) 502-2500 to get assistance with the issue — the support team will be happy to help!